Water is the next limited resource.
Just in the news, bomb threat to Trump tower. This doesn’t help anybody.
Pro gun people use the second amendment to proclaim their constitutional right to gun ownership. Thing is, the constitution is a living document and was meant to be modified as needed. We modified it to free slaves. We modified it to give women the right to vote. We modified it to guarantee free speech. We can modify it to enforce strict gun control. Hell, the 2nd amendment is an amendment and is not in the original constitution. We can change the change. It will save lives. We must first overcome the idea that “gun control will never happen so don’t even bother bringing it up”.
How many people today die from laser blasters? Exactly zero. The reason is nobody has one. So if you ban all guns then nobody will die from guns because nobody will have one. Some people say bag guys will always find a way to get their hands on guns. The key is to make that as difficult as possible. We need to drain the swamp by cutting off the bag guys gun supply. How do you do this? Find out how bag guys get guns and stop them. This would be a great first step.
- A straw purchase occurs when someone who may not legally acquire a firearm, or who wants to do so anonymously, has a companion buy it on their behalf.
- The next biggest source of illegal gun transactions where criminals get guns are sales made by legally licensed but corrupt at-home and commercial gun dealers.
- The 3rd source comes from lost, missing or stolen guns from FFLs or private owners.
The problem with making changes to the gun laws is that the NRA and pro gun people won’t budge an inch. Not an inch. No compromise will be found with that kind of climate. Don’t forget there are a lot of conservative legislators who represent people who are pro-gun so they are not about to consider much in the way of gun restrictive legislation because they are thinking about their re-election, or got a hefty campaign contribution from the NRA.
More Americans Killed by Guns Since 1968 Than in All U.S. Wars — Combined
My favorite pro-gun arguments debunked on this podcast episode:
- Only a good guy with a gun can stop a bad guy with a gun.
- Guns don’t kill people, people kill people
- If you take away guns, the bad guys will find other ways to kill you
- It’s a mental health issue, not a gun issue
- The UK and Australia crime rates have increased since their gun bans
- If we pass tighter gun laws, it takes away guns from the good guys and not the bad guys
- Knives kill more people per year than rifles (reference to AR15’s being the weapon of choice for mass shooters)