To address your points:
- Republicans are OK with Comey going after Clinton but also OK with Trump firing Comey for investigating him.
- It seems that Trump does not know what he is doing. Trump is now contradicting a lot of what he said during his campaigning.
- Mandatory sentences for non violent drug crimes is a terrible idea. Drug use needs to be treated like a disease not a crime. Get them help, not prison.
- Privatization of government services is dangerous because people will optimize for profit, not for the best interests of the people. This is the difference between government and private sector.
- Conservatives seem to be idealistic, thinking about how things should be but disregarding how they actually are. Doing this leaves out the nuanced points and intricate details that drive reality vs. an idealistic world.
- Private security can operate with more liberty than US armed forces. The military are adequately armed regarding weapons but yes I remember talk about insufficient protection like armor on HumVees and ballistic vests.
Points I’d like to bring up:
- The recent WannaCry virus that affected Windows computers
- Microsoft released a patch to protect against this exploit 2 months prior to the threat
- People need to update Windows in a timely manner
- The CIA used this exploit for a while then it was leaked and used by hackers maliciously
- This is exactly why Apple should not give any government the keys to their security
- A secret is never a secret forever
- Trump is cutting healthcare
- Some 25 million people are estimated to be without affordable healthcare a few years into the future
- The tax cuts benefit those who can most afford it at the expense of those who can least afford it
- Trump plans to cut Medicare/Medicade
- By about 800 billion dollars
- Many disadvantaged and elderly people will be without care
- There is talk of privatizing Social Security
- The reason SS exists is to provide a safety net for those who didn’t plan enough or fell on hard times
- Again, idealistic thinking at work – We need safety nets
- Without these safety nets we will see a crisis, many impoverished – this is an economic depressant
President Trump fires James Comey:
The official White House statement on May 9 said Trump “acted based on the clear recommendations” of the attorney general and deputy attorney general. But Trump, in an interview two days later, said he was going to fire Comey “regardless of recommendation.”
Trump said the “FBI has been in turmoil,” and a White House spokeswoman said “the rank and file of the FBI had lost confidence” in Comey. “That is not accurate,” according to Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe, who said Comey “enjoyed broad support within the FBI, and still does to this day.”
Allegations that Trump asked for allegiance from Comey and he also asked Comey to stop investigating Flynn.
Acting Attorney general Rosenstein appoints Robert Mueller in charge of an independent investigation into the collusion between the Trump campaign and the Russians during the election.Attorney general Sessions recused himself after it emerged that he had failed at his Senate confirmation hearing to disclose two pre-election meetings with Russia’s ambassador to Washington.
Trump quote: “I believe it hurts our country terribly, because it shows we’re a divided, mixed-up, not-unified country,”
Trump fires Comey because the FBI is in turmoil and he has lost confidence in Comey and his ability to run the FBI. I feel the exact same way about Trump being president. The American government is in turmoil, I don’t have faith Trump is making the right decisions, and globally few people have confidence in our government’s ability to make decisions. Example: Trump revealing classified information and its’ source to the Russians. Example: Trump nullifying most of our trade agreements and accords. Example: Trump expecting Mexico to pay for a wall to separate them from the USA (a slap in the face).
It’s hypocrisy that conservatives want Clinton to go to prison for using a private email server while they think it’s totally OK for Trump to leak clearly classified secrets and their source to the Russians. Trump doesn’t need a private email server when he has Twitter and his big mouth.
Jeff sessions minimum sentences on non-violent crimes. You have valid points regarding asymmetric punishment with regards to white cocaine users vs. non-white crack users.
Private prisons – anything private vs. public run. conflict of interests. Many conservatives claim privatization makes institutions more efficient. The problem is the for profit organizations have an agenda, they will maximize their operation for profits which can go against the best interests of the people. Conservatives favor the current healthcare industry vs. a single payer universal healthcare because they don’t want the government running it.
Drug users should be handled as being sick not being a criminal. As long as it can be proven they were not dealing but consuming.
Private security vs infantry. I don’t think small arms is a deal but I do agree with you on the other equipment. I remember hearing the soldiers didn’t have body armor and were fortifying the Humvee to protect them from bombs and bullets. BTW AK47 uses 7.62×39, AK74 uses 5.45×39 and the AR15/M16 type M4 uses 556×45.